Welcome to the web-site of St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center at the University of Miami.
In 1949, Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley, the Bishop of St. Augustine, whose territory included the entire peninsula of Florida, appointment Msgr. William McKeever as the Chaplain of the Newman Club of the University of Miami, serving the needs of Catholic students. Msgr. McKeever first major act was to celebrate the Eucharist on campus, with students and faculty adoring on bended knee. With Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman’s vision as a guide, a strong foundation of faith was built. The Eucharist, and the Church, has been truly present, “singing” in this neighborhood ever since.
In 1958, the new Diocese of Miami received its first bishop, the Most Rev. Coleman F. Carroll. Seeing the potential of the students and the need to serve them all-the-more, in 1959, Bishop Carroll dedicated a Catholic student center across the street from the University, and invited the community to sing a “new” song to the Lord. He named the building after the great Catholic intellectual, theologian, and philosopher, St. Thomas Aquinas. Staffed with Dominican priests who were assisted by Teresian Sisters, the ministry to the students grew and deepened.
Ten years later, in 1968, Miami became an Archdiocese and our first bishop became the first Archbishop. In 1969, Archbishop Carroll once again invited a new song to be sung to the Lord. He made the student center a territorial parish, naming it for St. Augustine, the Bishop of Hippo. Members of the local community joined with university students to sing praise to the Lord.
In 2010, Miami received its fourth Archbishop, the Most Rev. Thomas Wenski. A Miami priest who had been serving as the Bishop of Orlando, Archbishop Wenski brought to Miami a new and lively vision of College Campus Ministry.